Ships on a River with Buildings in the Distance
- ca. 1830
- Brown wash on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on medium, rough, gray wove paper
- Mount: 11 7/16 x 9 7/16 inches (29.1 x 23.9 cm) and Sheet: 3 7/16 x 5 5/16 inches (8.8 x 13.5 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on sheet attached to mount, upper center: "John Varley. | From Colln. of John Linnell | Bt. from his descendant; Miss Herbert, 1933 | Martin Hardie"; in graphite, on mount, lower left: "(+v2)"; in black ink, on mount, lower center: "Reproduced in | "John Varley", by Adrian Bury, 1946, pl. 70."; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "John Varley"; on back of mount, lower left: "Ohol(?)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | clouds | landscape | river | riverbanks | ships | town | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Ships on a River with Buildings in the Distance, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.