Ships on a River with Buildings in the Distance
- ca. 1830
- Brown wash on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on medium, rough, gray wove paper
- Mount: 11 7/16 x 9 7/16 inches (29.1 x 23.9 cm) and Sheet: 3 7/16 x 5 5/16 inches (8.8 x 13.5 cm)
Inscribed in blue ink, on sheet attached to mount, upper center: "John Varley. | From Colln. of John Linnell | Bt. from his descendant; Miss Herbert, 1933 | Martin Hardie"; in graphite, on mount, lower left: "(+v2)"; in black ink, on mount, lower center: "Reproduced in | "John Varley", by Adrian Bury, 1946, pl. 70."; in graphite, on mount, lower right: "John Varley"; on back of mount, lower left: "Ohol(?)"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | clouds | landscape | river | riverbanks | ships | town | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Ships on a River with Buildings in the Distance, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.