- Trees on a Knoll by a Stream
- ca. 1830
- Brown wash on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 3/4 x 5 9/16 inches (9.5 x 14.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "John Varley."; in black ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower left: "Drawing by John Varley | made about 1830. | From the Collection of John Linnell & Samuel Palmer. | given to me by A. H. Palmer. | M. | Photograph of "Marécage" or "Le Voyageur". | A glass etching by Paul Huet | (who cannot have seen the other) | See Delteil, L. Le Peintre graveur Illustré | vol. VII. P. Huet. 1911."; in brown ink, on sheet attached to mount, lower center: "Martin Hardie"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cattle | figures | hillock | landscape | stream | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Varley, 1778–1842, British, Trees on a Knoll by a Stream, ca. 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.