Plate I: View taken near Scarva in the County of Downe, representing Ploughing, Sowing the Flax Seed and Harrowing
- Part Of:
- Stipple engraving with etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 14 3/16 x 17 1/2 inches (36 x 44.4 cm), Plate: 13 11/16 x 16 9/16 inches (34.7 x 42 cm), and Image: 11 9/16 x 15 13/16 inches (29.3 x 40.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "WIlliam HINCKS"
Lettered, lower left: "Plate I | 1. Plowing. | 2. Sowing the Flax Seed. | 3. Harrowing."; lower center: "To His EXCELLENCY the LORD LIEUTENANT GENERAL and GENERAL GOVERNOR of IRELAND; | His Royal Highness PRINCE EDWARD; His Grace the DUKE of LEINSTER; the EARLS of CLANRICARDE, WESTMEATH, INCHIQUIN, DROGHEDA, TYRONE, SHANNON, CLANBRASSIL, | MORNINGTON, COURTOWN, CHARLEMONT, BECTIVE, and ELY, KNIGHTS of the MOST ILLUSTRIOUS ORDER of S.T PATRICK. | This VIEW taken near Saroa in the County of Downe, representing Ploughing, Sowing the Flax Seed, and Harrowing; | Is Dedicated by their most obedient and respectful humble servant, Wm Hincks | London, Published as the Act directs by R. Pollard, Spafields June 20, 1791."; lower right: "Wm Hincks delin et Sculpt"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bonnets | carriages | children | country house | eating | farmers | farming | fields | food | gardening | genre subject | grass | hills | home | horses (animals) | houses | hut | labor | landscape | men | oxen | peasants | ploughing | plow (agricultural equipment) | plowing | seeds | sitting | smoke | women | working
- Associated Places:
- County Down | Europe | Northern Ireland | Scarva | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
William Hincks, 1752–1797, Plate I: View taken near Scarva in the County of Downe, representing Ploughing, Sowing the Flax Seed and Harrowing, 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.