- The Rural Cott
- Engraving on india paper, proof on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream, wove paper, with chine collé
- Sheet: 19 1/8 × 24 1/8 inches (48.6 × 61.3 cm), Plate: 17 1/2 × 21 7/8 inches (44.5 × 55.6 cm), Chine collé: 16 15/16 × 21 3/8 inches (43 × 54.3 cm), and Image: 15 1/4 × 20 5/8 inches (38.7 × 52.4 cm)
Lettered, lower center: "The RURAL COTT. | Engraved after an Original Picture of Mr. GEO. SMITH, in the Possession of Mr. Bradford."; lettered, lower left: "G. Smith pinxt. | 'Tis done!... dread WINTER spreads his latest glooms. | And reigns tremendous o'er the conquer'd Year. | How dead the Vegetable Kingdom lies! | How dunb the Tuneful! Horror wide extends | His desolate Domain.-"; lettered, lower right: "Wm. Woollett Sculpt." | ----Behold, fond Man! | See here thy pictur'd life, pass some few Years, | Thy Flowering Spring, thy Summers ardent Strength, | Thy sober Autumn fading into Age, | And pale concluding Winter comes at last, | And shuts the Scene."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Woollett, 1735–1785, British, The Rural Cott, 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.