- Sketch of Izaak Walton's Cottage for the "Complete Angler," London, 1836
- Pen and brown ink, brown wash, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper mounted on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 9 1/2 × 6 inches (24.1 × 15.2 cm) and Mount: 12 5/8 × 9 1/2 inches (32.1 × 24.1 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper center: "A vignette this form & size"; center left: "fir | fir"; lower center: "I have made this sketch for | the size - there must be but | few <weads> weeds or plants in | the stream because the 'Dove' is a | swift & clear <stream> river - | [...] to draw it well & put good | effect into it. | the drawing sent is | very accurate"; inscribed on verso in graphite, lower right: "Stothard's Sketch | for guidance of Worthington | see Walton & C. | p. 391"; inscribed on mount in pen and black ink, upper center: "Walton & Cotton. Pickering's Ed[...] 1832"; lower center: "Stothard's original sketch for guidance of Worthinton who made | the finished drawing on the block."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, Sketch of Izaak Walton's Cottage for the "Complete Angler," London, 1836, 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.