- Engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige, laid paper, mounted on thick, smooth, cream, wove cardboard
- Sheet: 18 1/4 × 22 11/16 inches (46.4 × 57.6 cm), Plate: 17 5/8 × 22 1/4 inches (44.8 × 56.5 cm), and Image: 15 1/2 × 21 inches (39.4 × 53.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right; "PM 2679"
Lettered, lower left: "Rich'd. Wright pinx."; lettered, lower center: "THE FISHERY. | To SIR John hort Bart. His Majesty's Consul General at Lisbon | This Plate is Inscribed by his Obliged Humble Servt. Wm. Woollett. | The Picture from which this plate was Engraved, obtained the First Premium in 1764, from the Society of Arts, &c. Published as the Act directs, 30 June, 1768; and Sold by W. Woollett in Green Street, Leicester Fields, & T. Bradford, No.132 in Fleet Street, LONDON."; lettered, lower right: "Wm. Woollett Sculpt."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- allegory | carriage | clouds | coast | dark | fishermen | fishing | flags | galleon | lighthouse | luggers | marine art | meteorology | mountain | schooners | science | sea | seascape | ship of the line | ships | shore (landform) | sloop (sailing vessel) | storm | Union Jack | water
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by William Woollett, 1735–1785, British, The Fishery, 1768
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.