A Negroes Dance in the Island of Dominica
- Stipple engraving and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/8 x 15 3/4 inches (33.4 x 40 cm), Plate: 11 7/8 x 14 3/4 inches (30.2 x 37.5 cm), and Image: 9 x 12 15/16 inches (22.9 x 32.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "3"; on back, lower left: "6 (encircled) | M1-1 | W"; on back, lower right: "(PM 6202)"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [coat of arms] | "THIS PLATE (representing a NEGROES DANCE in the ISLAND of DOMINICA) is humbly dedicated | to the Honble,, Charles O'Hara, BRIGADIER GENERAL of his Majestys Army in America, | Col,, of Foot, & Lieut,, Col,, of the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. by his most obedt,, & devoted Servt,, | A,, Brunias. | London. Published 15 Feby,, 1779, by the Proprietor, N,, [...] ; Broad Streeet, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias Pinxt,, et Sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | bottle | buildings | Caribbean | child | clapping | coconuts | costume | couple | dance | dancers | dancing | dresses | drum (musical instrument) | earrings | genre subject | hats | houses | jewelry | leisure | men | music | natives | necklaces | parasol | patterns | performance | plaid | sashes (costume accessories) | shirts | singers | singing | stripes | talking | tambourine | trees | turbans | veils | village | West Indies | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Agostino Brunias, 1728–1796, Italian, active in Britain (1758–70; 1777-80s), A Negroes Dance in the Island of Dominica, 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.