A Negroes Dance in the Island of Dominica
- Stipple engraving and etching with hand coloring on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 13 1/8 x 15 3/4 inches (33.4 x 40 cm), Plate: 11 7/8 x 14 3/4 inches (30.2 x 37.5 cm), and Image: 9 x 12 15/16 inches (22.9 x 32.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, upper left: "3"; on back, lower left: "6 (encircled) | M1-1 | W"; on back, lower right: "(PM 6202)"
Lettered in black ink, lower center: [coat of arms] | "THIS PLATE (representing a NEGROES DANCE in the ISLAND of DOMINICA) is humbly dedicated | to the Honble,, Charles O'Hara, BRIGADIER GENERAL of his Majestys Army in America, | Col,, of Foot, & Lieut,, Col,, of the Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. by his most obedt,, & devoted Servt,, | A,, Brunias. | London. Published 15 Feby,, 1779, by the Proprietor, N,, [...] ; Broad Streeet, Soho."; lower right: "A,, Brunias Pinxt,, et Sculpt,,"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barefoot | bottle | buildings | Caribbean | child | clapping | coconuts | costume | couple | dance | dancers | dancing | dresses | drum (musical instrument) | earrings | genre subject | hats | houses | jewelry | leisure | men | music | natives | necklaces | parasol | patterns | performance | plaid | sashes (costume accessories) | shirts | singers | singing | stripes | talking | tambourine | trees | turbans | veils | village | West Indies | women
- Associated Places:
- Dominica | North and Central America
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
The Romantic Print in the Age of Revolutions: Hero, Hero-Worship, and the Heroic in History (Yale Center for British Art, 2003-01-23 - 2003-06-01) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
Timothy J. Barringer, Art and Emancipation in Jamaica: Isaac Mendes Belisario and His Worlds, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 2007, pp. 458-59, no. 164, N8243 S576 B37 2007 OVERSIZE (YCBA) [YCBA]