- Etching with hand coloring in watercolor on medium, smooth, cream wove paper
- 10 3/8 × 8 inches (26.4 × 20.3 cm) and 10 1/4 × 7 1/4 inches (26 × 18.4 cm)
Lettered inside image, lower left: "Pub'd Aug't 6th 1799 | by H. Humphrey No. 27 | St. James's Street"; lower right: "J's Gillray des. & fec't"; lower center: "PEN-ETRATION. - NB: This Title has no affinity to Pen, as connected with the | Goose-Quill; -nor has it any allusion to Penguin, a stupid creature between a Fish & a Fowl; - | the word is simply derived from Pen, as the Instrument used to express the deep researches of | the mind; see the St. James's Street chit-chat - respecting a Keen Pen; -a Witty Pen; -& a Pen, often Cut, but, | never mended."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated People:
- Penn, John (1760–1834), British writer
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.