- The Valley of the Shadow of Death
- Etching and aquatint, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 10 3/8 x 15 7/16 inches (26.4 x 39.2 cm) and Image: 9 9/16 x 14 7/8 inches (24.3 x 37.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower left: "54"; lower right: "GILLRAY, JAMES | THE VALLEY OF THE | SHADOW OF DEATH"
Lettered, upper left: "Dreadful Descent of Ye Roman Meteor.____"; upper center: "The Turkish New Moon, Rising in Blood.____"; upper right: "The Spirit of Charles Ye XII.___ The Imperial Eagle emerging from a Cloud."; lower center: "THe Rhenish Confederation of Starved rats, crawing out of the Mud. ___ Dutch Frogs spitting out their spite.___ American Rattle snake shaking his Tail. __ Prussian ScareCrow attempting to Fly. __ | J Gillray inv & fc. THE VALLEY OF THE SHADOW OF DEATH. __ Published Sept5 24, 1808 by H. Humphrey 27 St James's Street London"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animals | Bible | birds | caricature | chains | crowns (symbols of sovereignty) | death | dogs (animals) | donkey | dying | Europe | fear | fire | frogs (animals) | hat | hell | historical subject | hourglass | humor | lightning | monsters | moon | parody | path | political | rats | riding | rivers | satire | shadow | signs | skeletons | snakes | soldiers | spear | Styx (river of Hades); 'Stige' (Ripa) | swords | valley | war
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Gillray, 1757–1815, British, The Valley of the Shadow of Death, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.