Very Fresh Fish
- Part Of:
- Lithograph on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 17 13/16 x 13 inches (45.2 x 33 cm) and Image: 14 1/8 x 9 1/8 inches (35.9 x 23.1 cm)
Lettered, upper center: "VERY FRESH FISH."; four rows of two images each, all images have captions: upper left: "Oh! my pa's gone to Oyster Sauce! | Oh! my husband's hooked!"; upper right: "The Fishe's Revenge"; upper center left: "Oh my Child! my Child! | The Baits of this wicked world."; upper center right: "If you give me any more of your Sauce, I'll crack your shell."; lower center left: "The Appeal to the Maid."; lower center right: "I say Mister if you don't take this tingamy out of my Nose I'll pull you over."; lower left: "The Fishe that went to See."; lower right: "The playful Lobster."; lower left under images: "Alfred Crowquill fecit."; lower right under images: "Printed by Standidge & co. Old Jewry."; lower center under images: "LONDON, J. HARWOOD."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- begging | boat | club | coral | dresses | eyes | fish | fishing | genre subject | hook | lips | lobster | men | mermaid | ocean | oyster shell | pleading | rocks (landforms) | sailors | satire | shells | talking
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Alfred Henry Forrester, 1804–1872, British, Very Fresh Fish, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.