The Chillington Oxen
- Additional Title(s):
The Chillington Oxen, to T. W. Giffard, Esq.
- Line engraving and mezzotint with hand coloring on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet (cropped inside plate): 18 1/4 x 21 1/2 inches (46.4 x 54.6 cm) and Image: 15 x 20 inches (38.1 x 50.8 cm)
Inscribed on back in graphite lower right: "C"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
Lettered lower left: "Painted by Lucas Beattie."; lower right: "Engraved by John Porter, 9 Mary Street, Regents Park."; lower center: "THE CHILLINGTON OXEN, | To T.W. Giffard, Esqre., this Engraving from the Original Picture | Is most respectfully dedicated by his Obedient Servant Lucas Beattie. | Published Decr. 1, 1838, By Lucas Beattie, Wolverhampton."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agronomy | animal art | farming | husbandry | science
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA)