May 1st: No Man Lives That Looks on Him (Vol. 1, p. 255) May 2nd: He Found Only Two Gentlemen (Vol. 2, p. 23)
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- 3 7/8 × 4 1/2 inches (9.8 × 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in black in, upper left: "May 1 | No man lives that | looks on him | Vol 1 P255"; lower left: "May 2 | he found only | two gentlemen| Vol2 P23"
Signed in black ink: "T. Stothard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- axe | banners | bench | boy | courtiers | doublet | genre subject | hats | Kenilworth, by Walter scott, 1821 | men | plumes | shield | sword | swords
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, May 1st: No Man Lives That Looks on Him (Vol. 1, p. 255) May 2nd: He Found Only Two Gentlemen (Vol. 2, p. 23), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.