May 1st: No Man Lives That Looks on Him (Vol. 1, p. 255) May 2nd: He Found Only Two Gentlemen (Vol. 2, p. 23)
- Gray wash with pen and black ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 3 7/8 × 4 1/2 inches (9.8 × 11.4 cm)
Inscribed in black in, upper left: "May 1 | No man lives that | looks on him | Vol 1 P255"; lower left: "May 2 | he found only | two gentlemen| Vol2 P23"
Signed in black ink: "T. Stothard"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- axe | banners | bench | boy | courtiers | doublet | genre subject | hats | Kenilworth, by Walter scott, 1821 | men | plumes | shield | sword | swords
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Stothard, 1755–1834, British, May 1st: No Man Lives That Looks on Him (Vol. 1, p. 255) May 2nd: He Found Only Two Gentlemen (Vol. 2, p. 23), undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.