- Watercolor, black chalk, and graphite on thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Spine: 5 1/4 inches (13.3 cm) and Sheet: 5 x 7 inches (12.7 x 17.8 cm)
Inscribed in orange paint on spine: "1861"; inscribed in graphite inside front cover: "Mysembrianthimum | b/ | <mysanthimum.> plant grasse"; inscribed in graphite inside back cover: "May 30th"; inscribed on page 18: "April 25 1861"; inscribed on inside back cover: "May 30th Sunset in [...] & [...] | yellow ochre sky. Tree on hill of | lamp black over the yellow the | lights in long rays of the yellow | ochre . Reeds against the distance | 3 colours near black for shadow against | sky, bright green yellow for trans [...] leaves & sky colour | ochre for lights on [...] tree in forground the same | [...] & plants in [...] | [...] green in fine | ground"
Collector's mark: "Scalands Gate, Robertsbridge, Hawkhurst"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors-Sketchbooks
- Prints and Drawings
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.