- The Inside of St. Paul's Church in Rome built by Constantine the Great...
- Hand-colored engraving on wove paper
- Plate: 11 1/4 x 17in. (28.6 x 43.2cm) and DON'T USE: 12 1/2 x 18in. (31.8 x 45.7cm)
...The body of this Antient Church is divided into 5 Isles by 4 rows of Greek Marble Collumns veined with various colours, brought from the Sepulcher of the Emperor Hadrian. In the Middle Isle are Painted several scripture histories, & the Effigies of all the Popes, and other Eminent Persons / ...Le Corps de cette ancienne Eglise est divise en 5 Ailes par 4 rangs des Colomnes de marbre Grec avec des veins de differntes couleurs, qui avoient ete pris et apportes du Sepulchre de l'Empereur Hadrian. Dan L'Aile du Milieu se trouvent peinte plusieurs Histoires de l'Ecriture Saint, & les effigies de tous les Popes & c. --- Printed for r. Wilkinson in Cornhill, & Bowles & Carver, 69 St. Pauls Church Yard, London
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | church | paintings | pillars
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Italy | Lazio | Rome | San Paolo (church)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Carington Bowles, 1724–1793, British, The Inside of St. Paul's Church in Rome built by Constantine the Great..
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.