An East Perspective View of the City of Philadelphia, in the Province of Pensylvania, in North America, taken from the Jersey Shore...
- Line engraving with hand coloring in watercolor on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/4 × 18 inches (31.1 × 45.7 cm), Plate: 11 × 16 7/8 inches (27.9 × 42.9 cm), and Image: 9 1/2 × 16 1/4 inches (24.1 × 41.3 cm)
Lettered lower center: "An East Perspective View of the City of Philadelphia, in the Province of Pensylvania, in North America; taken from the Jersey Shore."; lower left to lower right: "1. Christ Church | 2. State House | 3. Academy | 4. Presbyterian Church | 5. Dutch Calvinist Church | 6. the Court House | 7. Quakers Meeting House | 8. High Street Wharf | 9. Mulberry Street | 10. Sassafras Street | 11. Vine Street | 12. Chesnust Street | 13. Draw Bridge | 14. Corn Mill | The other Streets are not to be | seen from the point of Sight."; lower center: "Printed for and Sold by Bowles & Carver, at their Map & Print Warehouse, No.69 in St. Paul's Church Yard, London. Publish'd as the Act directs"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | boats | churches | cityscape | marine art | sails | ships
- Associated Places:
- Pennsylvania | Philadelphia | United States of America
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by J. Carwitham, active 1720–1740, An East Perspective View of the City of Philadelphia, in the Province of Pensylvania, in North America, taken from the Jersey Shore.., 1778
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.