- Head of a Brown Pelican, After the Original by John White in the British Museum [Sir Walter Raleigh's Virginia, No. 57]
- Watercolor, gouache, graphite, and pen and black ink on medium, moderately textured, blued white, laid paper
- Sheet: 8 3/8 × 9 15/16 inches (21.3 × 25.2 cm) and Image: 7 3/16 × 8 3/4 inches (18.3 × 22.2 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, over graphite, upper center: "Alcatrassa. This fowle is of greatnes of a Swane. | and of the same forme Saving the heade, w'ch is in length 16 ynches."; inscribed in pen in black ink, over graphite, lower right: "Tanboril"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- © Estate of the Artist
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Mrs. P. D. H. Page, 20th century, Head of a Brown Pelican, After the Original by John White in the British Museum [Sir Walter Raleigh's Virginia, No. 57], undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.