IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, Hussar with High Plume in His Helmet, Mounted on a Horse, With High Held Swishing Tail, undated
Hussar with High Plume in His Helmet, Mounted on a Horse, With High Held Swishing Tail
- Graphite and red chalk on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 7 5/16 × 5 1/8 inches (18.6 × 13 cm)
Inscribed in pen with brown ink, upper left: "An English 2 [t?]ail'd Bashaw"; inscribed in pen with brown ink, lower center: "Learn to show your Charges well -- the better to show yourself"
Watermark: J W III
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- helmet | horse (animal) | Hussards | military art | soldiers
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.