A Mare, Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery
- Additional Title(s):
A Mare (A Slight Sketch): Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery
- Charcoal on medium, slightly textured, brown wove paper
- Mount: 11 1/4 × 15 5/16 inches (28.6 × 38.9 cm), Sheet: 9 × 12 5/16 inches (22.9 × 31.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen with, black ink, verso, center: "A very slight drawing (I have a hightly finished one) - | of a mare for the picture in the Tate Gallery | of a stallion and a mare by Ward. T.E.L. 1941"
Collector's mark: Thomas Esmond Lowinsky (Lugt 2420a)
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | horses (animals) | mare | sporting art
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, A Mare, Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.