- A Mare, Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery
- Charcoal on medium, slightly textured, gray wove paper, mounted on, medium, moderately textured, beige, laid paper
- Mount: 11 1/4 × 15 5/16 inches (28.6 × 38.9 cm) and Sheet: 9 × 12 5/16 inches (22.9 × 31.3 cm)
Inscribed in pen with, black ink, verso, center: "A very slight drawing (I have a hightly finished one) - | of a mare for the picture in the Tate Gallery | of a stallion and a mare by Ward. T.E.L. 1941"
Collector's mark, lower left: "TEL"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | horses (animals) | mare | sporting art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, A Mare, Possibly a Study for "L'Amour de Cheval", Dated 1827, in the Tate Gallery, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.