- Arctic Dog, Facing Right
- Graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Sheet: 6 3/4 x 7 1/4 inches (17.1 x 18.4 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower left; "JWD. RA"; in black ink, verso, upper center: "This and the drwing upon the next page are studies for the picture | "Dogs in Mountain Landscape: bought from Baffin's Bay by | Captain Parry"_ This picture was bought from the artist's sale | in 1829 and went to the Neeld Collection, was exhibited at the Grosvenor Gallery 1889 (no. 168) and sold in L.W. Neeld's sale | at Christies July 13, 1945 (Lot 151)"
T.E. Lowinsky collector's stamp on bottom left
Signed in brown ink, lower left; "JWD. RA"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | dog (animal)
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
James Ward, 1769–1859, British, Arctic Dog, Facing Right, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.