A Cock-Fight Watched by Four Men in an Out-House: The Fight, Engraved as Plate 39 in "The National Sports of Great Britain"
- Watercolor, with pen, in blue ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 9 3/4 × 13 11/16 inches (24.8 × 34.8 cm) and Sheet: 9 1/2 × 13 3/8 inches (24.1 × 34 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Five to One"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Done"
Signed in graphite, lower left: "H. Alken"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cock-fight | door | fighting | jar | men | outhouse | roosters | sporting art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Dudley Snelgrove, British Sporting and Animal Prints 1658-1874: A Catalogue, The Paul Mellon Collection , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1981, NE960.3 G7 B75 + Oversize (Mellon Shelf) (YCBA)