A Cock-Fight Watched by Four Men in an Out-House: The Fight, Engraved as Plate 39 in "The National Sports of Great Britain"
- Watercolor, with pen, in blue ink and graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream, wove paper
- Mount: 9 3/4 × 13 11/16 inches (24.8 × 34.8 cm) and Sheet: 9 1/2 × 13 3/8 inches (24.1 × 34 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "Five to One"; inscribed in graphite, lower right: "Done"
Signed in graphite, lower left: "H. Alken"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- cock-fight | door | fighting | jar | men | outhouse | roosters | sporting art
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, A Cock-Fight Watched by Four Men in an Out-House: The Fight, Engraved as Plate 39 in "The National Sports of Great Britain", 1821