"Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" 'Got in and Getting Out. Very Clever'
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, brown ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 1/8 × 10 13/16 inches (20.6 × 27.5 cm), Contemporary drawn border: 8 × 10 11/16 inches (20.3 × 27.1 cm), and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 11/16 inches (19.1 × 27.1 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "Got in and getting out. Very Clever"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "24"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "HRM. 12 - 3."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- falling | fence | field | horseback riders | horseback riding | horses (animals) | hunt | hunters | hunting | jumping | men | sporting art
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, "Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" 'Got in and Getting Out. Very Clever', undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.