"Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" `Returning Home in Triumph. He Disdain'd a Slothful Easey Life; so Took to Hunting'
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white, wove paper
- 8 × 10 5/8 inches (20.3 × 27 cm) and 7 1/2 × 10 9/16 inches (19.1 × 26.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "Returning Home in Triumph. | He disdain'd a slothful Easey Life; so he took to Hunting"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "3"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "HRH 12 - 5A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | fences | fields | horse (animal) | horseback riders | horseback riding | hunt | hunters | hunting | injury | men | sporting art | trees
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, "Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" `Returning Home in Triumph. He Disdain'd a Slothful Easey Life; so Took to Hunting', undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.