"Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" `Returning Home in Triumph. He Disdain'd a Slothful Easey Life; so Took to Hunting'
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, and graphite on medium, slightly textured, blued white, wove paper
- Sheet: 8 × 10 5/8 inches (20.3 × 27 cm) and Image: 7 1/2 × 10 9/16 inches (19.1 × 26.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen with black ink, lower center: "Returning Home in Triumph. | He disdain'd a slothful Easey Life; so he took to Hunting"; inscribed in graphite, verso, center: "3"; inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "HRH 12 - 5A"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- buildings | fences | horse (animal) | horseback riders | horseback riding | hunt | hunters | hunting | men | sporting art | trees
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Henry Thomas Alken, 1785–1851, British, "Qualified Horses and Unqualified Riders:" `Returning Home in Triumph. He Disdain'd a Slothful Easey Life; so Took to Hunting', undared
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.