- The Scholar Placed in His Seat Without Styrrops
- Graphite and gray wash on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream, laid paper
- Sheet: 10 3/16 × 14 1/2 inches (25.9 × 36.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, lower right: "D.828"
Paull Mellon Collector's stamp on verso
Signed and dated in graphite, lower left: "JVanderbank Fecit 1728"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- columns (architectural elements) | figure study | horseback riders | horseback riding | horsemen | horses (animals) | men | riding school | scholar | sporting art | stirrups | tricorn hats
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Vanderbank, 1694–1739, British, The Scholar Placed in His Seat Without Styrrops, 1729
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.