Earl Rivers Presenting His Book and Caxton, His Printer, to Edward IV
- Etching and line engraving on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 9 3/16 inches (30 x 23.3 cm), Plate: 6 15/16 x 4 5/16 inches (17.7 x 10.9 cm), and Image: 6 x 3 15/16 inches (15.2 x 10 cm)
Lettered in black ink, within image, lower center, in plaque: "Earl Rivers presenting his Book & Caxton his Printer | to Edw. 4. the Queen & Prince; from a curious M.S. in the | Archbishop's Library at Lambeth. The Portrait of the | Prince (afterwds. Edw. 5th.) is the only one known of him, & | has been engraved by Vertue among the Heads of the | Kings. The Person in a Cap & Robe of State is proba- | bly Richard D. of Gloucester, as he resembles the King, | and as Clarence was always too great an Enemy of | the Queen to be distinguished by her Brother. The | Book was printed in 1477, when Clarence was in Ire- | land, & in the beginning of the next Year he was murder'd."; lower right: "C. Grignion sculp."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- book | boy | capes | cloaks | crowns | Dictes and Sayings of the Philosophers, 1477 | emblems | ermine | fur | historical subject | illustration | interior | king (person) | kneeling | men | orbs | peers | plaque | prince | queen (person) | royalty | scepters | servants | tunic | women
- Associated People:
- Edward IV (1442–1483), king of England and lord of Ireland
Caxton, William (1415x24–1492), printer, merchant, and diplomat
Woodville, Anthony, second Earl Rivers (c.1440–1483), magnate
Elizabeth (c.1437–1492), queen of England, consort of Edward IV
Edward V (1470–1483), king of England and lord of Ireland
Richard III (1452–1485), king of England and lord of Ireland
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Grignion, 1717–1810, British, Earl Rivers Presenting His Book and Caxton, His Printer, to Edward IV, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.