- Additional Title(s):
John Smith, the Mezzotinter, Holding a Portrait of Sir Godfrey Kneller
- Stipple engraving and etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- 8 13/16 × 5 9/16 inches (22.4 × 14.2 cm) and 4 5/8 × 3 3/4 inches (11.7 × 9.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower right: "13"; on back, lower right: "1// | 25a"
Lettered, lower left: "Kneller, pinxt"; lower center: "JOHN SMITH."; lower right: "S. Freeman, Sculp.t"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | buttons | collar | hat | illustration | mantle | mezzotinter | painter | painting (visual work) | portrait | scrolls
- Associated People:
- Kneller, Sir Godfrey, baronet (1646–1723), history and portrait painter
Smith, John, the mezzotinter (1652 - 1743), publisher/printer, printmaker
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Freeman, 1773–1857, British, John Smith, undated
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.