Alarming Case of Indigestion: The Doctor Called In
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 5/16 x 17 5/16 inches (31.2 x 44 cm) and Image: 9 1/4 x 12 5/8 inches (23.5 x 32 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 887"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published May 14, 1847 by T. McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "ALARMING CASE OF INDIGESTION: THE DOCTOR CALLED (underlined) IN. | (two columns of text, left column) Patient: ~ Oh Doctor I feel very ill: ~ such a tightness all over! | Nurse: ~ Please Sir, D.r Peel's medicine has made master worse | (right column) Doctor: ~ My dear Sir, only a little passing inconvenience. | Be assured the worst is over, You will soon be as well as ever. | (aside) __ I wish this Russian draught would arrive though | (below both columns) Factotum to Cook ~ This is all your doings."; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bowls | chairs | cook | genre subject | ill | maid | medicine | nurse | patient | physician | political | politicians | politics | robes | satire | science | sick | sketches | top hat
- Associated People:
- Baring, Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton (1773 - 1848), politician/statesman, merchant/financier
Peter, Henry, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), politician/statesman
Wood, Sir Charles, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800 - 1885), politician/statesman
Hudson, George (1800-1871), MP, the 'Railway King'
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Alarming Case of Indigestion: The Doctor Called In, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.