Alarming Case of Indigestion: The Doctor Called In
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 5/16 x 17 5/16 inches (31.2 x 44 cm), Image: 9 1/4 x 12 5/8 inches (23.5 x 32 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 887"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published May 14, 1847 by T. McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "ALARMING CASE OF INDIGESTION: THE DOCTOR CALLED (underlined) IN. | (two columns of text, left column) Patient: ~ Oh Doctor I feel very ill: ~ such a tightness all over! | Nurse: ~ Please Sir, D.r Peel's medicine has made master worse | (right column) Doctor: ~ My dear Sir, only a little passing inconvenience. | Be assured the worst is over, You will soon be as well as ever. | (aside) __ I wish this Russian draught would arrive though | (below both columns) Factotum to Cook ~ This is all your doings."; lower right: "Printed by McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bowls | chairs | cook | genre subject | ill | maid | medicine | nurse | patient | physician | political | politicians | politics | robes | satire | science | sick | sketches | top hat
- Associated People:
- Baring, Alexander, 1st Baron Ashburton (1773 - 1848), politician/statesman, merchant/financier
Hudson, George (1800–1871), MP, the 'Railway King'
Peter, Henry, 1st Baron Brougham and Vaux (1778–1868), politician/statesman
Wood, Sir Charles, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800 - 1885), politician/statesman
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Alarming Case of Indigestion: The Doctor Called In, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.