The State Wagon in Difficulties
- Additional Title(s):
The State Waggon in Difficulties
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- 12 x 17 9/16 inches (30.5 x 44.6 cm) and 10 1/8 x 14 7/8 inches (25.7 x 37.8 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right, "HB Sketches No 889"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published Novr 10th 1847 by T McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: "THE STATE WAGGON IN DIFFICULTIES. | 1st Waggoner. ~ 'Come, there's no use in trying to carry it any longer; ~we shall be soon all at a dead lock.' | 2nd Waggoner. ~ 'Suppose I just throw out enough of it to enable us to get over the worst of the road, ~We can | afterards picl up the pieces'"; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martin's Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- armed forces | army | bales | banks | cargo | carts | charters | civil liberties | debt | famine | genre subject | harnesses | hats | horses (animals) | Irish | money | navy | peasants | political | railway | satire | satirical | sketches | wagons | wheels | whips
- Associated People:
- Wood, Sir Charles, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800 - 1885), politician/statesman
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The State Wagon in Difficulties, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.