Unhappy Ghosts Wandering on the Banks of Styx, while Charon in his Boat Ferries over the Elect to the Elysian Fields
- Part Of:
- Lithograph on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 12 1/16 x 17 5/8 inches (30.6 x 44.8 cm) and Image: 8 7/16 x 14 13/16 inches (21.5 x 37.7 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 891"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published Novr 19th 1847 by Thos McLean 26 Haymarket"; lower center: ""UNHAPPY GHOSTS WANDERING ON THE BANKS OF STYX, | while | CHARON IN HIS BOAT FERRIES OVER THE ELECT (underlined) TO THE ELYSIAN FIELDS."; lower right: "Printed at 70 st Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boat | coats | cravats | men | mythology | officials | parody | political | politicians | river | rowboat | satire | sketches | walking
- Associated People:
- Macaulay, Thomas Babington, 1st Baron Macaulay (1800 - 1859), academic/intellectual, author/poet
Hobhouse, John Cam, 1st Baron Broughton (1786 - 1869), politician/statesman
Roebuck, Right Hon John Arthur (1802-1879), British politician born in Madras, India
Russell, Lord John, 1st Earl Russell of Kingston Russell (1792-1878), politician/statesman
Wood, Sir Charles, 1st Viscount Halifax (1800 - 1885), politician/statesman
Mr. Hawes (fl. 1847-1849), politician
Col Fox (fl. 1847), politician
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, Unhappy Ghosts Wandering on the Banks of Styx, while Charon in his Boat Ferries over the Elect to the Elysian Fields, 1847
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.