- An Old Coast Guard, Looking Out... A Strange Sail on the Horizon
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 15/16 x 18 1/8 inches (30.3 x 46 cm) and Image: 10 1/8 x 13 9/16 inches (25.7 x 34.4 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 897"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "LONDON PUBLISHED BY THOS McLEAN 26 Haymarket March 21st 1848"; lower center: "AN OLD COAST GUARD, __ LOOKING OUT. | A STRANGE SAIL ON THE HORIZON. | (two columns of text, left column): Old Guard | 'I don't like the cut of her jib, should she turn out to be a pirate, | she may run in here any where she likes unless we look about us very sharp.' | (right colum): Frightened Gentleman | 'Good Gracious! _ | we shall all be murdered in our beds.'"; lower right: "PRINTED BY McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | coast | coast guard | genre subject | men | murder | nobleman | ocean | pirates | political | politicians | sailboats | sails | satire | satirical | sea | seaman | ships | sketches | spying | stealing | telescope | top hat
- Associated People:
- Egerton, Francis, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (1800-1857), politician and poet, Lord Lieut. co. Lancashire
Wellesley, Arthur, first duke of Wellington (1769–1852), army officer and prime minister
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, An Old Coast Guard, Looking Out... A Strange Sail on the Horizon, 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.