An Old Coast Guard, Looking Out... A Strange Sail on the Horizon
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 15/16 x 18 1/8 inches (30.3 x 46 cm), Image: 10 1/8 x 13 9/16 inches (25.7 x 34.4 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 897"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left under image: "LONDON PUBLISHED BY THOS McLEAN 26 Haymarket March 21st 1848"; lower center: "AN OLD COAST GUARD, __ LOOKING OUT. | A STRANGE SAIL ON THE HORIZON. | (two columns of text, left column): Old Guard | 'I don't like the cut of her jib, should she turn out to be a pirate, | she may run in here any where she likes unless we look about us very sharp.' | (right colum): Frightened Gentleman | 'Good Gracious! _ | we shall all be murdered in our beds.'"; lower right: "PRINTED BY McLean & Co 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boats | coast | coast guard | genre subject | men | murder | nobleman | ocean | pirates | political | politicians | sailboats | sails | satire | satirical | sea | seaman | ships | sketches | spying | stealing | telescope | top hat
- Associated People:
- Wellesley, Arthur, first duke of Wellington (1769–1852), army officer and prime minister
Egerton, Francis, 1st Earl of Ellesmere (1800-1857), politician and poet, Lord Lieut. co. Lancashire
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, An Old Coast Guard, Looking Out... A Strange Sail on the Horizon, 1848
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.