The Ass and the Sick Lion
- Part Of:
- Lithograph in tan and black ink on moderately thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 11/16 x 17 3/16 inches (29.7 x 43.7 cm) and Image: 9 15/16 x 13 7/16 inches (25.3 x 34.2 cm)
Marked with imprint, lower left: "Subscriber's Copy, HB"
Lettered, upper right: "HB Sketches No 915"; lower left inside image: "HB"; lower left below image: "Published by T McLean, 26 Haymarket July 24, 1849"; lower center: "THE ASS AND THE SICK LION."; lower right: "Printed at 70 St Martins Lane"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- animal art | ass (donkey) | donkey | genre subject | lion | political | politicians | satire | satirical | sick | sketches
- Associated People:
- Copley, John Singleton, Baron Lyndhurst (1772 - 1863), Lord Chancellor
Campbell, John, first Baron Campbell of St Andrews (1779–1861), lord chancellor
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Doyle ('H.B.'), 1797–1868, Irish, The Ass and the Sick Lion, 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.