- Additional Title(s):
- Etching and drypoint, retouched with graphite on thick, smooth, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 11 13/16 x 8 1/2 inches (30 x 21.6 cm), Plate: 11 13/16 x 8 1/2 inches (30 x 21.6 cm), Image: 8 7/16 x 5 1/16 inches (21.4 x 12.8 cm), Image: 3 1/2 x 5 1/16 inches (8.9 x 12.8 cm), and Image: 2 1/8 x 4 5/8 inches (5.4 x 11.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower left to lower right: "I have only two early proofs of this plate, before the lower subject was vignetted. Each has the stain in the paper. This is one of the proofs | + I think the earlier of the two. Apparently it was worked on white [sic] the paper was damp from the press. AHP"; inscribed in graphite, lower left: "A. 5i"; inscribed in graphite, lower center to lower right: "Colln. A H. Palmer. | Martin Hardie. | M.H."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baskets | cape | cherubs | cloak | figures | foliage | food | grapes | ladder | landscape | leaves | light | monarch | religious and mythological subject | specific aspects, allegorical aspects of Bacchus; Bacchus as a patron | trees | vat | vine | wine
- Associated People:
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Samuel Palmer, 1805–1881, British, active in Italy (1837–39), The Vine, 1852
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.