IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of Pont Neuf, part of the Louvre, Notre Dame, and the College of four Nations, 1803
View of Pont Neuf, part of the Louvre, Notre Dame, and the College of four Nations
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 1/4 inches (46.4 x 66.7 cm), Plate: 10 3/4 x 25 1/2 inches (27.3 x 64.8 cm), Image: 7 7/8 x 22 1/2 inches (20 x 57.2 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis."; lower left: "VIEW OF PONT NEUF, | part of the Louvre, Notre Dame, & the College of four Nations."; lower right: "VUE DU PONT NEUF, | d'une partie du Louvre, de Notre Dame & du College des quatre Nations."; lower left: "SUB PRINT"; lower center: "LLONDON: Publiyn'd Jany. 15. 1803 by JNO GIRTIN, No. 1 Little Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO."; and lower right: "7"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | barges (flat-bottomed watercraft) | barrels (containers) | boats | carriages | coat | domes | horse (animal) | oars | pails | people
- Associated Places:
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Collège des Quatre-Nations | Europe | France | Musée du Louvre | Paris | Pont Neuf | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.