View of Pont de la Tournelle and Notre Dame taken from the Arsenal
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 8 15/16 x 21 1/16 inches (22.7 x 53.5 cm), and Image: 5 15/16 x 17 5/16 inches (15.1 x 44 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin"; lower right "Aquatinted by F. C. Lewis"; lower left: "View of Pont de la Tournelle & Notre Dame | taken from the ARSENAL."; lower right: "Vue du Pont de la Tournelle & de Notre Dame | prise de L'ARSENAL." lower left: "SUBSCRN PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Pub. Decr. 16. 1802, by THOS. & JNO. GIRTIN. No.1 Little Newport STreet Gerrard Street SOHO."; and lower right: "11"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Associated Places:
- Bassin de l'Arsenal | Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris | Europe | France | Paris | Pont de la Tournelle | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of Pont de la Tournelle and Notre Dame taken from the Arsenal, 1802
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.