View of the Pantheon taken from the Arsenal
- Aquatint with soft-ground etching on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 18 1/4 x 26 inches (46.4 x 66 cm), Plate: 8 7/8 x 21 3/16 inches (22.5 x 53.8 cm), and Image: 5 15/16 x 17 5/16 inches (15.1 x 44 cm)
J WHATMAN | 1801
In lettering, recto, lower left: "Drawn & Etch'd by Thos. Girtin."; lower right: "Aquatinted by F.C. Lewis."; lower left: "View of the Pantheon | taken from the ARSENAL"; lower right: "Vue du Pantheon | prise de L'ARSENAL"; lower left: "SUBSCRN PRINT"; lower center: "LONDON: Publish'd Jany. 10. 1803, by JOHN GIRTIN No. 1, Little Newport Street, Gerrard Street, SOHO."; and lower right: "12"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Associated Places:
- Bassin de l'Arsenal | Europe | France | Panthéon | Paris | Seine | Ville de Paris, Départment de | Île-de-France
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Thomas Girtin, 1775–1802, British, View of the Pantheon taken from the Arsenal, 1803
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.