Finding things not exactly what he expected - Plate 2
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 14 inches (25.3 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 x 11 7/16 inches (21.6 x 29.1 cm), and Image: 6 7/16 x 9 15/16 inches (16.3 x 25.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: 54", inscribed in red pencil, upper right: "54"; inscribed in graphite on back, lower right: "55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Finding things not exactly what he expected. ______"; upper right: "Plate 2."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) __ G. Cruikshank sculpts"; lower center: "A Cavern lies, unknown to cheering day | Where one small taper lends a feeble ray | Where wild disorder holds her Wanton reign | An careless mortals frolic in her train | ___ Falconer ___"; lower right: "London Pub.d by G Humphrey 27s.t James St 182"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barrels | caricature | chaos | drinking | drunk | fear | flute | food | genre subject | hats | humor | illustration | ladder | laughing | lights | marine art | midshipmen | music | plates | Royal Navy | satire | seamen | ship | smoking (activity) | surprise | uniforms | violin
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Finding things not exactly what he expected - Plate 2, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.