Finding things not exactly what he expected - Plate 2
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 9 15/16 x 14 inches (25.3 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 1/2 x 11 7/16 inches (21.6 x 29.1 cm), and Image: 6 7/16 x 9 15/16 inches (16.3 x 25.3 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: 54", inscribed in red pencil, upper right: "54"; inscribed in graphite on back, lower right: "55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Finding things not exactly what he expected. ______"; upper right: "Plate 2."; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) __ G. Cruikshank sculpts"; lower center: "A Cavern lies, unknown to cheering day | Where one small taper lends a feeble ray | Where wild disorder holds her Wanton reign | An careless mortals frolic in her train | ___ Falconer ___"; lower right: "London Pub.d by G Humphrey 27s.t James St 182"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- barrels | caricature | chaos | drinking | drunk | fear | flute | food | genre subject | hats | humor | illustration | ladder | laughing | lights | marine art | midshipmen | music | plates | Royal Navy | satire | seamen | ship | smoking (activity) | surprise | uniforms | violin
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Finding things not exactly what he expected - Plate 2, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.