Mr. B. Mastheaded -or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time - Plate 4
- Part Of:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 3/8 x 11 5/16 inches (21.2 x 28.8 cm), and Image: 6 7/16 x 9 15/16 inches (16.3 x 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "56", in red pencil, upper right: "56"; on back, in graphite, lower right: 55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Mr. B. Mastheaded - or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time"; upper rightL "P.4"; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) __ g Cruikshank sculpt"; lower center, two columns of text: column one: "Dialogue __ Lieu.t_ Pray Mr. B. did you call the master? | B. No, Sir. I thought (underlined) ___ | Lieu.t_ You thought, Sir! How dare you think (underlined) | Have you mark'd the Board?__", column two: "B. No,Sir, I did'nt think | Lieu.t_ Did'nt think, why | did'nt you think (underlined) Sir?!!! ____ | up ot the Masthead(underlined) directly ___"; lower right: "Pub/d by G Humphrey 27 st James's St London 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | boat | book | caricature | clouds | genre subject | humor | illustration | marine art | mast | midshipman | punishment | rope | sails | satire | ship | sick | uniform
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Mr. B. Mastheaded -or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time - Plate 4, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.