Mr. B. Mastheaded -or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time - Plate 4
- Part Of:
- Materials & Techniques:
- Aquatint and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 14 inches (25.5 x 35.5 cm), Plate: 8 3/8 x 11 5/16 inches (21.2 x 28.8 cm), Image: 6 7/16 x 9 15/16 inches (16.3 x 25.2 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "56", in red pencil, upper right: "56"; on back, in graphite, lower right: 55551/8"
Lettered, upper center: "Mr. B. Mastheaded - or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time"; upper rightL "P.4"; lower left: "(picture of an anchor) __ g Cruikshank sculpt"; lower center, two columns of text: column one: "Dialogue __ Lieu.t_ Pray Mr. B. did you call the master? | B. No, Sir. I thought (underlined) ___ | Lieu.t_ You thought, Sir! How dare you think (underlined) | Have you mark'd the Board?__", column two: "B. No,Sir, I did'nt think | Lieu.t_ Did'nt think, why | did'nt you think (underlined) Sir?!!! ____ | up ot the Masthead(underlined) directly ___"; lower right: "Pub/d by G Humphrey 27 st James's St London 1820"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- birds | boat | book | caricature | clouds | genre subject | humor | illustration | marine art | mast | midshipman | punishment | rope | sails | satire | ship | sick | uniform
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by George Cruikshank, 1792–1878, British, Mr. B. Mastheaded -or, enjoying the fresh air for the 304th time - Plate 4, 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.