- Additional Title(s):
- Stipple engraving and etching, hand colored on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream laid paper
- 16 1/4 x 13 1/4 inches (41.2 x 33.7 cm), 14 1/16 x 11 inches (35.7 x 27.9 cm), and 12 3/16 x 10 1/16 inches (30.9 x 25.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "P2816/12"
Lettered, black ink, center left along image: "W. Hamilton R.A. pinx.t"; center right along image: "F. Bartolozzi R.A. sculp.t"; lower left: "Upon the margin of a stream, | The spot for a poetic dream, | Methought I saw, beneath a shade, | In July's heat, a cottage maid, | And in her lap, as Sampson lay, | Reclin'd on faithless Dahliah,"; lower center: "JULY | London Publish'd July 10, 1789 by Thos. Macklin.PoetsGallery.Fleet Street"; lower right: "A fleecy foot repose his head, | There all his woolly honors shed! | Poor Sheep! quoth I thou'st but a type | Of sillier man! no sooner ripe, | Than by some shearer made a prey, | His wealth, his health, his strengh decay."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- boy | caps | children | costume | cottage | dog (animal) | farm | farmers | genre subject | hats | horse (animal) | labor | landscape | man | pot | river | shawls | shearing | shears | sheep | summer | tree | women | wool
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), July, 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.