Cupid and Cephisa: "One Day as I was Walking in the Woods..."
- Stipple engraving and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 19 5/8 x 18 5/8 inches (49.8 x 47.3 cm), Plate: 18 5/8 x 13 1/8 inches (47.3 x 33.3 cm), and Image (oval): 14 3/8 x 11 7/16 inches (36.5 x 29 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "21920 2"
Lettered, center left along image: "Angelica Kauffman pinx.t"; center right along image: "Thomas Burke Fecit"; lower center: "Cupid and Cephisa,"; text is then divided into two paragraphs side by size, divided by a vertical black line, on the right the text is in French and on the left in English: "One day as I was walking in the Woods | of Idalia with the young Cephisa, I found Cupid reposing amongst the Flowers. *Montesquieu"; lower center below two paragraphs: "From the Original Picture, in the possession of George Bowles, Esq.r | London Publish'd July 10th 1789 by T Burke, No 5 Great College Street, Westminster"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrows | bow | braids | child | cut | dress | flowers (plants) | grass | holding | knife | love | man | mountains | mythology | oval | preparing | religious and mythological subject | sandals | sitting | sleeping | standing | stopping | toga | tree | walking | wings | woman | woods
- Associated People:
- Sleeping Cupid
Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de la Brède et de Montesquieu (1689 - 1755), academic/intellectual
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Burke, 1749–1815, British, Cupid and Cephisa: "One Day as I was Walking in the Woods...", 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.