Cupid and Cephisa: "One Day as I was Walking in the Woods..."
- Stipple engraving and etching, hand-colored on moderately thick, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 19 5/8 x 18 5/8 inches (49.8 x 47.3 cm), Plate: 18 5/8 x 13 1/8 inches (47.3 x 33.3 cm), and Image: 14 3/8 x 11 7/16 inches (36.5 x 29 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower center: "21920 2"
Lettered, center left along image: "Angelica Kauffman pinx.t"; center right along image: "Thomas Burke Fecit"; lower center: "Cupid and Cephisa,"; text is then divided into two paragraphs side by size, divided by a vertical black line, on the right the text is in French and on the left in English: "One day as I was walking in the Woods | of Idalia with the young Cephisa, I found Cupid reposing amongst the Flowers. *Montesquieu"; lower center below two paragraphs: "From the Original Picture, in the possession of George Bowles, Esq.r | London Publish'd July 10th 1789 by T Burke, No 5 Great College Street, Westminster"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arrows | bow | braids | child | cut | dress | flowers (plants) | grass | holding | knife | love | man | mountains | mythology | oval | preparing | religious and mythological subject | sandals | sitting | sleeping | standing | stopping | toga | tree | walking | wings | woman | woods
- Associated People:
Charles-Louis de Secondat, Baron de la Brède et de Montesquieu (1689 - 1755), academic/intellectual
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Thomas Burke, 1749–1815, British, Cupid and Cephisa: "One Day as I was Walking in the Woods...", 1789
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.