Peggy Advocates a Sweetheart
- Additional Title(s):
The Gentle Shepherd, Act I, Scene II
- Part Of:
- Etching and aquatint on moderately thick, moderately textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 8 7/8 inches (28.3 x 22.6 cm), Plate: 10 3/8 x 8 inches (26.4 x 20.3 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 1/16 inches (22.3 x 18 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Da(?) Allan invt. et Aq. tint fecit"; lower center: "Peggy. See yon twa elms that grow up side by side; | Suppose them, some years syne bridegroom & bride | Nearer & nearer ilka year they've prest, | Till wide their spreading branches are increast. | For Watt & Bailhe Publishers & Stationers Leith 1 June 1808."; lower right: "Act I Scene II."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Janet and James Sale, Yale BA 1960
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- aprons | bathing | bonnets | cloth | clouds | comedy | dresses | genre subject | gesture | illustration | landscape | pastoral | peasants | poem | pointing | pots | ribbons | river | rocks (landforms) | shawl | stripes | trees | tubs | urns | waterfall | women
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by David Allan, 1744–1796, British, born in Scotland, Peggy Advocates a Sweetheart, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.