Bauldy and Mause
- Additional Title(s):
The Gentle Shepherd, Act II, Scene III
- Part Of:
- Etching and aquatint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 8 7/8 inches (28.3 x 22.5 cm), Plate: 10 9/16 x 8 1/16 inches (26.8 x 20.5 cm), and Image: 8 3/4 x 7 inches (22.2 x 17.8 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "D Allan invt et Aq. tint. fect"; lower left: "Bauldy __ And yonder's Mause; ay, ay, she kens fu' well, | When ane like me comes rinning to the Deil. | She and her cat sit beeking in her yard, | To speak my errand, faith amonst I'm feard: | For Watt & Baillie Publishers & Stationers Leith 1. June 1808."; lower right: "Act II. Scene III."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Janet and James Sale, Yale BA 1960
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron (main garment) | bowl | breeches | cap | cat (domestic cat) | chair | chickens | chicks | chimney | cottage | distaff | dress | farming | fence | genre subject | gesture | gutter (roadside element) | hut | illustration | jacket | kerchief | man | pastoral | peasants | poem | pole | rooster | spinning | staff | stream | thatched roof | tree | tub | waistcoat | woman
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by David Allan, 1744–1796, British, born in Scotland, Bauldy and Mause, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.