- Patie and Peggy
- Etching and aquatint on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 11 1/8 x 8 15/16 inches (28.3 x 22.7 cm), Plate: 10 3/8 x 8 1/16 inches (26.3 x 20.4 cm), and Image: 9 x 7 1/16 inches (22.9 x 18 cm)
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "D Allan invt et Aq. tinta fect."; lower center: "Patie. _____ my Peggy why in tears? | Smile as ye wont, allow nae room for fears, | Tho I'm nae mair a shepherd, yet I'm thine. | For Watt & Baillie Publishers & Stationers Leith 1 June. 1808."; lower right: "Act IV Scene II."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Janet and James Sale, Yale BA 1960
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- agriculture | breeches | cane | cattle | coat | comforting | costume | cows | dog (animal) | dress | fichu | genre subject | gesture | grazing | hills | illustration | landscape | love | man | pastoral | peasants | plaid | poem | rocks (landforms) | rural | sash | shepherd | shepherd's crook | stream | tam-o'-shanter | trees | tub | weeping | woman
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Scotland | United Kingdom
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by David Allan, 1744–1796, British, born in Scotland, Patie and Peggy, 1808
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.