A Bridge Between Florence and Bologna
- Watercolor and black and brown ink over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 6 1/8 x 8 3/8 inches (15.6 x 21.3 cm) and Mount: 11 1/4 x 14 1/4 inches (28.6 x 36.2 cm)
Inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, upper left: "A View of | a Bridge, 15 miles in the road from Florence | to Bologna | drawn August 11th 1781 by Francis Towne"
Signed in brown ink, lower left: "F. Towne. del. | No. 7. 1781"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bridge (built work) | bushes | Grand Tour | landscape | river | trees
- Associated Places:
- Bologna | Florence | Italy
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Francis Towne, 1740–1816, British, A Bridge Between Florence and Bologna, 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.