The Claudian Aquaduct, Rome
- Watercolor with pen and black ink, over graphite on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 12 5/8 x 18 1/2 inches (32.1 x 47 cm) and Contemporary drawn border: 17 x 23 inches (43.2 x 58.4 cm)
Watermark: Fleur-de-lis (unidentified)
Signed and dated in pen and black ink, lower right: "F. Towne delt | 1785"
Inscribed in pen and black ink, lower right: "F. Towne delt | 1785"; in pen and brown ink, verso, upper center: "No. 4 a View of the Claudian Aqueduct at Rome | looking towards mount Palatine | Drawn by | Francis Towne | 1785"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- arches | architectural subject | Grand Tour | landscape | people | ruins
- Associated Places:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Acquisitions : The First Decade 1977-1986, Yale Center for British Art , Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, CT, 1986, p. 31, no. 126, N590.2 A7 OVERSIZE (YCBA)
Graham Reynolds, Scene and Sensibility, TLS, the Times Literary Supplement, issue no. 4178, April 29, 1983, p. 438, Film S748 (SML) Also available OnLine in TLS Historical Archive (ORBIS)
Duncan Robinson, Acquisitions : The First Decade 1977 - 1986, , Burlington Magazine, vol. 128, October 1986, p. 31, no. 126, N1 B87 128:3 OVERSIZE (YCBA)