John Hamilton Mortimer
- Additional Title(s):
John Hamilton Mortimer, Historical Painter
Self-Portrait in Character
- Etching and stipple engraving on moderately thick, moderately textured, beige laid paper
- Sheet: 16 7/16 × 11 13/16 inches (41.7 × 30 cm) and Image: 14 5/16 × 11 5/8 inches (36.4 × 29.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on back, lower right: "6/ | 25A (A underlined)"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Painted by Mortimer"; lower center: "John Hamilton Mortimer, | Historical Painter. | From an original Picture painted by Himself in the posession of Richard Thorold Esqr. to whom this plate, | is humbly inscribed, by His much obliged, and most obedient Servant, | Robert Blyth. | London publish'd as the Act directs 10th. Sepr. 1782. by R. Blyth No. 105. New Bond Street."; lower right: "Etch'd by R Blyth"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- artist | cap | costume | etcher | man | oval | painter | portrait
- Associated People:
- Mortimer, John Hamilton (1740–1779), painter and etcher
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Robert Blyth, 1750–1784, John Hamilton Mortimer, 1782
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.