The Swain's Amusement
- Additional Title(s):
A Young Male Playing Drum and Fife
- Part Of:
- between 1748 and 1756
- Mezzotint on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 14 3/16 x 10 1/4 inches (36 x 26 cm), Plate: 12 15/16 x 8 7/8 inches (32.8 x 22.5 cm), and Image: 11 3/8 x 8 3/4 inches (28.9 x 22.3 cm)
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
Lettered in black ink, lower left: "Ph: Mercier Pinxt."; lower center: "Rural Life."; lower right: "J. Faber fecit."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bow (costume accessory) | boy | child | costume | drum (musical instrument) | fife | figure study | frock coat | genre subject | music | peasant | rural | tricorne | waistcoat
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by John Faber the Younger, ca. 1695–1756, Netherlandish, active in Britain, The Swain's Amusement, between 1748 and 1756