- Additional Title(s):
Chevalier de Pinto
Luiz Pinto de Sousa Coutinho
- before 1797
- Stipple engraving and etching on medium, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 15 15/16 x 10 7/8 inches (40.5 x 27.7 cm), Plate: 13 3/8 x 8 7/8 inches (33.9 x 22.5 cm), and Image (oval): 9 1/16 x 6 15/16 inches (23 x 17.6 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, lower center: "before the Date 1797"; on back, lower left: "Count of Linhares | Juer 1830."; on back, lower right: "1830 Juer 1-5. | (IR31/886c)"
Lettered in black ink, along lower left outline of oval image: "D. A. de Siqueira Ac. Rom. ad vivum delineavit."; in banner, lower center: "DESIR DE BIEN FAIRE"; along lower right outline of oval image: "F. Bartolozzi R. A. Historical Engraver to his Majesty."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- banner | child | clouds | coat | costume | cravat | knights | man | medals | oval | pendants (jewelry) | politician | portrait | Portuguese | putto | sash | waistcoat | wings
- Associated People:
- Pinto de Sousa Coutinho, Luis, first Viscount Balsemão (1735-1804 )
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Francesco Bartolozzi RA, 1728–1815, Italian, active in Britain (1764–99), Chevalier Pinto, before 1797
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.