The Marriage Ceremony performed in Mr. B.'s own Chappel by Mr. Williams, Mr. Peters giving her away, Mrs. Jewkes waits behind Pamela and the Maid keeps the door
- Part Of:
- Etching with stipple engraving on medium, slightly textured, cream laid paper
- 15 3/8 x 21 1/4 inches (39 x 54 cm), 11 13/16 x 14 13/16 inches (30 x 37.7 cm), and 10 7/16 x 14 1/8 inches (26.5 x 35.8 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, on front, lower right: "54.16.1i"
Lettered, in black ink, lower left under image: "Jos. Highmore inv.t et pinx."; lower right under image: "A. Benoist Sculp."; in next two sets of lettering, the left set is divided fromthe right set by a long vertical printed line: lower left: "The mariage Ceremony performed in M.r B.'s own Chappel | by M.r Williams, M.r Peters giving her away, M.rs Jewkes waits | behind Pamela and the Maid keeps the door.."; lower right: "(Same text repeated, translated into French."; lowest, center: "Published, according to Act of Parliament, July 1.st 1745."; lowest right: "9."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Yale Art Gallery Collection, Gift of the Library Association
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bride | ceremony | chapel | dress | genre subject | gloves | groom | literary theme | maid | marriage | men | nobleman | Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded (1740) by Samuel Richardson (1689-1761) | priest | servants | wedding | wedding dress | wedding vows | windows | women
- Associated People:
- Mrs. Jewkes, a housekeeper
Mr. B, a Nobleman
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Print made by Guillaume Philippe Benoist, 1725–ca. 1770, French, The Marriage Ceremony performed in Mr. B.'s own Chappel by Mr. Williams, Mr. Peters giving her away, Mrs. Jewkes waits behind Pamela and the Maid keeps the door, 1745
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.