Death of the First Born of Egypt
- Pen and red and gray ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Mount: 19 15/16 x 27 15/16 inches (50.6 x 70.9 cm) and Sheet: 17 13/16 x 27 1/2 inches (45.2 x 69.9 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "To Wm. Brockedon Esq | with kindest regards of his atta[...] [remainder cropped off] | friend the artist"
signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "Martin January 1836."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | babies | children | colonnade | columns | crowd | crown | death | fathers | figures | hieroglyphics | king (person) | kneeling | men | mothers | Old Testament | pharaoh | Pharaoh mourning his dead son ~ the tenth plague | plague | pleading | religious and mythological subject | sadness | staffs | temple | weeping | women | worship
- Associated Places:
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Death of the First Born of Egypt, 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.