- Death of the First Born of Egypt
- Pen and red and gray ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Mount: 19 15/16 x 27 15/16 inches (50.6 x 70.9 cm) and Sheet: 17 13/16 x 27 1/2 inches (45.2 x 69.9 cm)
Inscribed in brown ink, lower right: "To Wm. Brockedon Esq | with kindest regards of his atta[...] [remainder cropped off] | friend the artist"
signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "Martin January 1836."
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject | babies | children | colonnade | columns | crowd | crown | death | fathers | figures | hieroglyphics | king (person) | kneeling | men | mothers | Old Testament | pharaoh | Pharaoh mourning his dead son ~ the tenth plague | plague | pleading | religious and mythological subject | sadness | staffs | temple | weeping | women | worship
- Associated Places:
- Associated People:
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
John Martin, 1789–1854, British, Death of the First Born of Egypt, 1836
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.