The Sinews of Old England
- Watercolor, graphite, gouache, gum arabic, and scraping out on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 29 1/2 × 20 7/8 inches (74.9 × 53 cm) and Frame: 43 x 33 1/2 x 3 3/4 inches (109.2 x 85.1 x 9.5 cm)
Signed and dated in brown watercolor, lower left: "G.E.Hicks. 1857"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- baby | door | family | genre subject | girl | home | laborer | love | pickaxe | portrait | sinews | worker
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Andrea Korda, Printing and painting the news in Victorian London : the Graphic and social realism, 1869-1891, Ashgate Publishing, Burlington, 2014, pp. 122-24, 174, 177, fig. 4.2, ND467.5.V52 K67 2014 (YCBA)