Foot Ball played at Market Place, Barnet
- Additional Title(s):
Games played in and around London
- ca. 1784
- Pen and black ink and brown ink and watercolor
- Sheet: 6 x 8in. (15.2 x 20.3cm) and Frame: 7 11/16 × 9 1/4 × 5/16 inches (19.6 × 23.5 × 0.8 cm)
Inscribed in pen and ink, lower center: " Foot Ball played at Market Place Barnet."; Label on the back of the frame giving the artist name, title, medium, dimensions and states "John Basket (Sotheby Parke Bernet, New York | Dec. 4) 1975 | The Property of the estate of the late Mrs. Chas. | E. Dunlap (sold by order of the executors), Sotheby | Parke Bernet, New York, 12/4/75 (342 with other | five)"
Lettered center left within image: "Post Office"; center left : "Ne[at?] Post Chatse." | 1765 | Wm. Broughton"; center: " Inn | Neu[g?]"; center right: "Assembly House | Connor"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- assembly hall | football | games | genre subject | leisure | market (building) | marketplace | post office | soccer | sporting art
- Associated Places:
- Barnet | Barnet | England | Europe | London | United Kingdom
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Robert Dighton, 1752–1814, British, Foot Ball played at Market Place, Barnet, ca. 1784
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.